Thursday, November 10, 2011

Me and Sports

Part of marrying Ben was my accepting what his die-hard love of sports. Specifically, his love for the Atlanta Falcons and the LA Lakers.

The first season I experienced with Ben was...a learning experience for me. One of tolerance. I tolerated his love of sports because I wanted to be with him. I went to the games with him. He even let me bring a book with me.

The second season I experienced with him...I tried to be a little more engaging. I left the book at home when we went to games. I wore the t-shirt. I sat in the living room while he watched the game. I bought him the Madden NFL football video game.

This season, I couldn't go to the games. I was huge and uncomfortable at 6 months pregnant and Ben and I both knew it would be a miserable experience...for both of us. But I followed the game on ESPN to gage Ben's reaction. When the games are away, I watch the games with him. Lately, though, I decided to buy in completely. I want not to just tolerate this aspect of my husband's life, but I want to embrace it. So I watch ESPN talk shows with him. I listen - truly listen- to Ben explain plays to me. I follow sport analysts on twitter. What brought about this change? I don't know. Probably more to do with the fact that I cherish spending time with Ben and this is a great way for me to show him how much I love him.

Which is a good thing, of course. But it is always made better when he quizzes me for players' names from different teams and I rattle them off. And Ben's look of surprise and pride is worth it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I (heart) comments! Thank you for making my day!