Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The End of a Mooo-ving Era

I have this habit of pushing things too far. Then, I regret it.

For instance, as you may (or may not) know, I am lactose-allergic. Basically and sadly, I have to avoid all milk products or I will be sick. For hours and hours. I would definitely make things easier for myself if I actually avoided milk products. But I can't. And, I don't. Of course, I get sick and proclaim I will NEVER do it AGAIN. But I'm a liar.

When Ben and I were dating, I convinced him I could eat an entire ice cream cone. "Are you sure?" His look revealed the depth of his concern. I rolled my eyes. "Of course! I will be fine." The next day? I ended up at the doctor because I experienced tightness in my chest. I couldn't breathe. Ben has never let me forget that either. I can't eat ANY milk products around him.

For the last year, I've had an allowance called "lactose pills". Those wonderful little green pills allow me to enjoy ice cream and pizza and nachos and lattes by blocking the lactaid in the diary product for a pain-free experience. (Doesn't that sound so scientific?) Its been blissful.

Except recently. About a week ago, I began to notice that my faithful green pills were not working. My worse fear was coming to pass - the eternal blockage of dairy from my diet. Panic set in - mostly over ice cream and Starbucks.

Last night, I gave it one last try. I called for my two favorite men to help me test out my fear: Ben & Jerry's. The verdict was tragic. My green pills have failed me. My allergy has gotten beyond my control. Good-bye all you wonderful dairy foods: lasgana, coffee creamer, and my favorite - ice cream. Farewell.

1 comment:

  1. AWFUL. We'll find a way to let you enjoy ice ceam again. I'm determined.

    ReplyDelete

I (heart) comments! Thank you for making my day!