Monday, February 1, 2010

RV Cooking

This weekend, we were overwhelmingly blessed by gifts from a bridal shower hosted for me. While it was incredible to see all the gifts packed neatly in our car, they are now strewn across our living room waiting to be unpacked and organized. Hence, I will need to postpone giving you a tour of my little abode until organized peace has returned.

But never fear, there are always new adventures to share!

Cooking in an RV is a challenge that Martha Stewart - though she conquered jailhouse accommodations - has never experienced. Let me tell you, I had no idea what a roller coaster ride I was in for. The stove runs off of gas, something I have never used. Apparently, in order to use the stove, you have to light the stove each time. Ben and I knew we were in for it when I couldn't even get the lighter to work . Gimme a break! I HAD NEVER USED ONE BEFORE! Ben, of course, started worrying about how I would ever be able to cook if I needed him to light the stove every.single.time. This doesn't even mention his concern about my safety. Thankfully, he found a lighter with a safety device which means I can cook and he doesn't have to worry about a RV fire!

Once we overcame the lighting challenge, I set off to cook on a gas stove. Let's talk about the oven, for a minute, shall we? Last week, I decided to make brownies for the young men. This is not a difficult task - I've made brownies before. Follow the directions on the back of the box, pour into a baking dish, bade and eat. Simple, right? The box said to bake at 350 for 36 minutes. I did exactly what the directions said, but 15 minutes later, I checked the brownies. They were done, in fact, the bottom was burnt. I have never heard of a pan of brownies burning within HALF the time needed to bake at the CORRECT oven setting. I have a lot to learn. Needless to say, my pride prohibited me from giving the guys the brownies. Maybe another time, boys, maybe another time...

My endeavors to cook on the actual stovetop have been a success. I've managed to make scrambled eggs, pad thai, and chicken alfredo (not together, of course!). I'm slowly branching out to try other recipes, but really, the gas stove has made me so nervous, I'm extremely thankful for the 7 boxes of cereal we have right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I (heart) comments! Thank you for making my day!