Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Day of the Telescope

I never thought I would be that person. You know, the person who snoops and peers out the window at her neighbors. Or, the person who drives by all the other apartment buildings within our complex, trying to look in the windows to see other's decor.

Yes, I'm that person. I'm a snoop. Borderline stalker, maybe. Borderline.

For a while, I was trying to figure out when it all began. Like, did it begin when I became obsessed with Domino Magazine (may it rest in peace), or with Ikea? I realized it went much further back than that.

My first snooping memory was when I was between the ages of 8-12. Large age group, I know, but I can't remember my exact age. My mom was a big fan of educational games and toys and anything else that might stimulate our minds. Mom had no idea.

So, in light of our mother's preference, my uncle bought my siblings and I a telescope. To look at the stars, of course.

One night, we convinced our parents to let us go outside, after dark, to look at the stars. My parents agreed. I'm sure they thought we had become intrigued by the Milky Way and how the stars were aligned in the sky and whatnot. We weren't. Instead, we steadied our telescope eye to the homes of our many neighbors who had ALL their blinds and curtains wide open. It was paradise. We peered into livings rooms and dining rooms watching our neighbors who had no idea they were under intense multi-sibling-surveillance.

After a while, we tripped back inside. Mom had no idea. Dad had no idea. And, I don't remember using that telescope ever again. It had been put to much use already, no reason to over-extend it, right?

(Disclaimer: I'm not a stalker. This is all drive-by...And, my sincere apologies to any of our past neighbors)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I (heart) comments! Thank you for making my day!